Sunday, August 18, 2013

Referred pain after dental treatments

I sometimes make phone calls to patients after I work on them.  Once in a while, I would hear "I had a headache on the day of treatment and got better next day."  I am not an expert on oral facial pain.  However, I experience referred pain through my patients.  As I listen, I experience, sinus pain and ear pain can feel like tooth pain.  Some patient feel a pain on an upper tooth, yet the pain might come from the lower tooth.  Some wisdom tooth pain might spread to lower jaw and below jaw.  Some told me that "I have headache", yet, they had bad gum inflammation.  Some has headache that comes from bad jaw/teeth alignment (TMJ problem).    I also experience lowering of threshold for pain as patients often tell me: "this tooth started to ache and all the other teeth and gum aches, I can not tell you where I have pain, they all hurt!"  When I hear that, I say to myself, "oh, Lord help me figure this one out."  Pain is real entity and everyone feels differently.  Yet, I see how much fear of pain cause unnecessary anxiety and loss of energy.  Dentist do construction work in mouth.   The mouth has to be reconstructed to get better just like an old house has to be torn down to make a better house.  Some soreness in the mouth is expected but one cannot expect to be better without any transition period like fixing a house.